Various Lies

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

hey kiddo

Well, here we are then. I guess you really are real. It's not just your mum making things up to get extra food and sleep, and to uh miss her period, and make me stop smoking finally...and...well, anyway...


 



 


I don't know what to say because I have too much to say. Too many thoughts. I wonder if you'll be like me and think too much sometimes. I have a million wonders about you and I can't wait to figure them out.



Sometimes I think I'm going to be right (actually, most of the time for your first decade and half). Sometimes I'm almost definitely going to be wrong (but I'll never admit it, so here is lesson one in self-control). Most of the time though I think we'll figure that out as we go. I can't wait.



It's the oddest thing, I already love you and you're just a kumquat.



But I saw your heart beating inside your chest. I heard your heart beat through ultrasound. You're alive, you're real.



You were our embryo, and now you're our foetus. You will be my baby, and you'll always be my child.



Here we go kid. Wish us luck.

24 comments:

Dr Becca said...

This made me cry. Best of luck to you, the soon-to-be Mrs Tideliar, and baby T!

Jason Goldman said...

w00t! congratulations!

Becca said...

Awww, what an adorable kumquat!!!!

NatC said...

*bawling*
So happy for you! So excited for the kumquat adventures!

Matt H said...

So happy for you. I love all three of yous! I also reject the poopy diaper uncle title

DrugMonkey said...

Wonderful news. You only get to be right for 5 yrs, 8 if you are lucky.

Katie Collette said...

Awwww, congrats!

Nico said...

Woohoo, a baby Tiddles! Congrats to you and the missus!

tideliar said...

Many thanks guys. I am so excited, and so incredibly terrified...

And Matt - too late mate. GreenEyedGirl has re-volunteered you. Tiny has agreed to be "late home making excuses" uncle and Lefty is "walking up and down at 3am trying to stop the crying" uncle.

Lemme know, I'll be in the pub. I'll be back in 2018...

Alyssa said...

Congrats!!! Sounds like you're ready for a wild ride :)

Julie @ Bunsen Burner Bakery said...

Congratulations!!!

Odyssey said...

Congrats!

tideliar said...

Alyssa, I think it was the wild ride that got us into this predicament ;)

The Founding Mothers said...

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?
That has nothing to do with the humanity of it all (my god, the humanity), just getting you some early practice in.

So, many congrats, dude! If my little 1st instar is anything to go by, about a year and a half after the birth you might be able to start getting some sleep again. I recommend getting as much as you can in now, alcohol fuelled or not. Luckily they also start being incredibly good fun at that point, so it's all worth it.

Anonymous said...

Awwww.... Congrats to you and the beautiful mom-to-be!

SUIRAUQA said...

w00t! Such great news! All the best to Dear Tiddles, Mrs. Tiddles-to-be and Tiddlet!

Autistic Lurker said...

did I miss something? (new girlfriend?)

congratulation to all three of yours!! I'll drink a beer to that :)

A.L.

Dr. O said...

Oh my god congratulations Tiddles!!!!!!

Damn, I step away from the blogosphere for a week and babies appear from every corner... ;)

tideliar said...

Dr. O you're on the short list of emergency help/panic calls :)

The bean-mom said...

BIG CONGRATS from someone who usually just lurks here. Yes, you are in for a hell of a ride. But it's a fantastic one.

Anonymous said...

Word...congrats mate! I'm sure you'll provide a unique perspective on fatherhood!

GMP said...

OMG -- that's great news! Papa Tidey! Congratulations!

Prof-like Substance said...

A bit late since we were having our own kumquat last week, but congrats!

Dr. O said...

Hey, just shoot me an email if you have questions or just need to freak out a bit!